The Spirituality of Unrequited Love Comments

By John Mallon © 1993, 2005 by John Mallon Unrequited love feels like death. In fact, there are times when death would seem preferable to the unrelenting pain and frustration. There are those, even in the Church, who would seek to minimize or make light of this most unique agony: “Oh, don’t worry about it! Women (or men) are like street cars, there’s another one along any minute!” Like Hell. I don’t think there is any other pain quite ... Continue Reading

1. Alexander

This love is so rare in our shallow society that demands instant results and answers.

2. Paazoo

There is no feeling quite like this one. I'm in love with this man who has no idea how I feel. We have amazing chemistry together and he lights me up when i'm around him, yet he just wants us to be friends. How can this be? I finally feel like i've found "the one", apologies for the clichée, and it's never going to be more than just a friendship. Will I ever accept it as just a friendship though? CAN i ever just accept is as a friendship?? Ach, love is so tough!

3. Jarred

I agree. While my agony pains me so, once truely in love, it is not something that can be undone. Nobody has the right to rid me of my agony. Not even me.

4. Justin

Wow, you totally just hit at home on everything I'm feeling right now. I'm in love with a woman who I want to love me back so badly, and I am in utter agony over it. Thank you for this uplifting article!

5. Phoniex - dying over and over

Love, What agony. We cannot live without it. How I desire for not having any feeling at all, truly. It will save me such Loneliness and loss of time. Movies don't help, either. Great article I thought I was the only one going thru this, being surrounded by Married and engaged friends it takes a toll even when I pretend to be great single. I have been in unrequited love for.....seems forever. It kills me over and over again especially when he comes to me for advise to fix his issues with his girlfriends and I being a great friend I give him great advise to fix them. Sadly, I don't know how to cure my heart. But I turn to Jesus at least I know and is secure that he LOVES me. I read in an article once that no matter how you feel about that person and if that person does not feel the same, you don't have the capability to change ones heart. Only God has that power.

6. Sarah waiting for her Tobit

This article hits home. I still love this particular person for the last 8 years, unrequited. This person is in love with someone else, and I have to watch this happen. I feel for anyone who goes through this.

7. Fran

Thank you so much for this article. It is very well written and definitely hits close to home.