Liturgy: Gluten-free Hosts Comments

And More on Homilies While Walking ROME, SEPT. 15, 2004 (Zenit) - Answered by Father Edward McNamara, professor of liturgy at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical University. Q: I've been recently told of a girl who could not receive her first Communion because she was allergic to wheat gluten. The Catholic Church doctrine says that is the composition the host needs to be made of. I don't know how to answer this question from a "fallen ... Continue Reading

1. A Lees

In our church, there is someone who has a special host, which is on a special paten, which she takes out of the paten herself.
    It was much later that I discovered that our priest is, himself, only able to take gluten free. Therefore, I deduce, that gluten-free hosts are available. He has had some form of gastrointestinal cancer and has to watch what he eats and drinks.
    Secondly, the hosts we use at communion are so unlike bread, that I really think claiming they need to contain gluten in order to be bread is a little bit too much. If you can make bread without gluten that is still bread, then you can make a communion host without gluten that isi still communion host.
    I do not think it at all an appropriate catholic response to say that someone who is allergic cannot receive communion; that would be disobeying Jesus, when he said 'Take and eat.'

2. Kinga Barry

The wheat in the days of Jesus was categorically not the same as the hybridized modern wheat which is capable of producing at least 23,788 different protein varieties which are able to induce a miriad of autoimmume illnesses.
    The Church would be serving Christ and humanity by investing in producing Communion Hosts only from ancient wheat varieties,

3. barbara dunn

I too have Celiac Disease. Yesterday I was treated very insensitively and bruskly by a priest in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in regard to the gluten free issue. One of his many insulting comments was,"OH, You want to be special!" Didn't Christ say, "suffer the little children(which we all are in God's eyes) and forbid them not" and did He not associate with prostitutes, tax collectorsand the like. It would seem that God wants more than anything for all of us, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist etc.;believers in the one true Christ and God, to come unto HIM. Is it any wonder that many of our young people today are leaving the church in record numbers when the leaders of some of our churches are so exclusive of anyone out of the norm? That would include even those with a health issue such as Celiac Disease or diabetes; as though we were somehow self indulgent and wishing to be Special. I was very hurt and angered by this priests attitude. The usual priest, Father Pete, is just the opposite; compassionate, kind, inclusive and wonderful in welcoming everyone; passing on a Christ like
    love and inclusion in all of his actions. Missing communion in PV, missing Father Pete

4. Greg Kreczko

During distribution of communion, my priest insists on removing the consecrated gluten free host from the pyx. I'd rather he hand me the pyx and let me remove the consecrated host. When I talk to him he says this isn't proper. I'm afraid of cross contamination because of all the traditional hosts he has been handling. Is there guidance published by the church that I can show him? His response is "try it my way and see how you feel". I don't want an autoimmune reaction to happen before he is convinced he's doing damage to my body.

5. Wayne Lancour

recently our pastor has been using safe communion host made by theBenedictine Nuns, I have been taking about 3 months and the last 2 weeks I have been losing weight (10 lbs), this plus pains in stomach, tireness is some of the symhtons of celia.
    eVEN AT .01 % this is dangerous as the gluten stores up and hits you all at once.

so by making people think these hosts are safe is doing them harm.

what happens

6. Frances Duffy

Where can the "gluten-free" communion wafers be purchased. I would gladly purchase them for not only out present parish, but to be able to take them with us when we travel so that when we attend church I can present it to the priest and be able to receive communion. A far better solution than putting some priests on the spot for an answer when we are out of town or attending a different church for what ever reason.
    Thank you so very much!

7. Luzmarina B. Alonso

My daughter and one her children suffer from celliac, and the boy is very sick after he receives the host, our priest suggested that he only takes de wine, but he is very young and we do not want him to continuing drinking the wine; my question, how can I buy the wafers from the sisters?. Thank you for your cooperation. Luzmarina Alonso,

8. John McLellan

An interesting and informative article, but where can I purchase these gluten free hosts from?

9. Dan O'Brien

Ms. Goodman is clearly wrong in her claim that wheat did not exist at the time of Jesus Christ. In fact, wheat grains have been cultivated for at least 9000 years, apparently beginning in Southeast Asia. Wheat grain cultivated specifically for wheat bread dates back to approximately 5000 BC in several areas, including the Jordan River area. Stick with the Church, Ms. Goodman, no matter what you read in the National "Catholic" Reporter or Dan Brown's books, and you'll never go wrong.

10. Yvonne Goodman

Regarding Gluten Free Hosts. How can it be that the Church would say wheat represents bread---when in Jesus day wheat did NOT exist??? Additionally,I have been told many Dioceses have changed to Gluten Free because wheat intolerance is so prevalent. I am one who is recently diagnosed and cannot take communion.
    HELP!!