Just how important are SAT scores to get into college?
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
9/30/2011 (6 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Towards the end of their senior year, millions of American high school
students prepare for their SAT scores. There is much heightened interest
and nervousness, as for many of these students, a passing grade
guarantees them entrance to the college of their choice. But how really
important is the SAT really? The reality may surprise you .
While SAT scores are important, top schools instead look at students' academic achievement first -- grades, class rank, and the types of courses they've tackled,
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Is a great SAT score really your child's key to the college of her choice? Not necessarily. The real worth of SAT scores depends entirely on where your child would like to go to college. According to Rick Dalton, former director of enrollment planning at Middlebury College in Vermont says that "college selectivity is a myth. 95 percent of colleges accept most of the students who apply. It's the other 5 percent -- the Harvards and the Universities of Virginia -- where test scores really matter. These colleges get more applicants than they could possibly accept."
Even at the most selective schools, SAT scores alone still don't determine who's accepted or rejected. "Students might be surprised to hear that Princeton University turns down 76 percent of its applicants who scored between 750 and a perfect 800 on the SAT," Joyce Slayton Mitchell, the director of college advising at the Nightingale-Bamford School in New York City says.
"Students don't need a perfect score and perfect grades to get in. It takes more than that. They need to pursue other activities and interests that are unique to them," she says.
Top schools instead look at students' academic achievement first -- grades, class rank, and the types of courses they've tackled, Dalton says.
Admission officers then examine students' "non-academic profiles," which is their extra-curricular activities and acts of citizenship. Selective colleges look for excellence among athletes and artists. Multiculturalism may also be a factor. At this point, test scores come into play, says Dalton. "You can have everything else, but if you have low scores, you probably won't get in."
Is there an SAT score that is too low? "Students who score a 650 math and a 650 verbal on the SAT are capable of doing the work at any college in the country," Mitchell says. But those scores won't ensure them a spot in the freshman class.
"Kids who are shooting for the top schools have to be discerning about where they make their commitments," Dalton says.
"Forty hours spent working on a biology project or serving the community will probably increase a student's chances of getting in much more than a week's worth of SAT test-prep classes."
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for OCTOBER 2017
Workers and the Unemployed. That all workers may receive respect and protection of their rights, and that the unemployed may receive the opportunity to contribute to the common good.
Finding the right College
There's no magic formula for choosing a college, but there are steps you can take to find a good fit. Use this tool to start your journey.
Latest College News
One hundred and seventy-nine years ago, two Jesuit priests sold 272 persons at a slave auction. Their families were torn apart: many of ... continue reading
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis on Friday visited one of Rome's major institutions of higher education today: the UniversitÃ degli ... continue reading
The UCLA campus has been put on lockdown after reports of a shooter in the university's Boelter Hall were released via social media. ... continue reading
In a move reminiscent of the early 1900s, North Carolina State University segregated a student Christian group from the rest of the student ... continue reading
St. Mary's University in Twickenham, London has been formally approved to name one of their buildings after Benedict XVI. LOS ANGELES, CA ... continue reading