Extracurricular activities seen as a must for modern college students
Activities outside of studies adds to well-rounded individuals with ties to communities
A college student who applies themselves exclusively to their studies is
not necessarily a good thing. One of the main objectives of a college
education lies in preparing young people for engagement in their
surrounding communities, outside of the expected academic requirements.
All work and no play makes Jack and Jill very dull little boys and
girls, say college officials, and it's recommended that students take
advantage of various extracurricular activities in order to develop
For students who enjoy watching collegiate sports, many schools have student spirit organizations that allow students to attend sporting events, sit in a special student cheering section to applaud the home team.
Student Government. Students involved in governance organizations, such as student government and residence hall government, are usually elected by their peers to function as the "official voice" of students to university administration. Campus governance organizations include honor councils, which seek to enforce a university's honor code, and judiciary boards, where students hear disciplinary cases and render verdicts.
Athletics. Almost every college and university in the United States offers some type of intercollegiate and intramural athletics. Student athletes may "try out" for such team sports as volleyball, basketball, or lacrosse. For students who enjoy watching collegiate sports, many schools have student spirit organizations that allow students to attend sporting events, sit in a special student cheering section to applaud the home team.
Academic and Professional Organizations. Academic major and professional organizations assist their members in acquiring experience in their chosen occupational field and in aiding in the job search. Such professional organizations typically focus on one career area of interest.
Volunteer and Service-Related Activities. Volunteer and service-related activities exist to help improve the local and worldwide community, an important goal of extracurricular activities. In the "Alternative Spring Break" program, in lieu of heading out for the beach for sun, surf and hedonism, many students engage in community service projects, such as rebuilding homes, planting trees, or tutoring students during their college spring break.
Multicultural Activities. Multicultural activities focus on increasing awareness and understanding of various cultures and ethnic and racial backgrounds. Many schools sponsor festivals, concerts, lectures, and discussions that promote multicultural awareness on campus in which students may participate.
The Arts. Students interested in fine arts have a plethora of extracurricular opportunities in which they can actively participate. Activities including plays, musicals, and dance concerts offer a chance for students to demonstrate their dramatic abilities.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More College & University News
- University of St. Thomas Honors Research Goes 6 Feet Under
- What the devil?! Bill Gates wants your college info so he can tell you what classes to take
- Two Cardinals, a Theologian and a Historian to Lecture at the University of St. Thomas
- Women Succeed in UST Engineering, CUA is New Partner
- Mardi Gras King, Queen Exemplify UST Mission
- 40 Celts March for Life in Washington
- GRACE Goes International With Irish Teachers
- Seven in 10 college students graduate with loan debt
- Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, Orsy No Evil: Georgetown University and Catholic Identity
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?