Why Tom Golisano Believes in Ave Maria University
do not comport with those which he holds today. Some within certain segments of the Catholic blogging community were only too eager to point out those positions of the past."
One thing about Tom Golisano is very clear: Through his B. Thomas Golisano Foundation, he has been a generous philanthropist. He has donated more than 6 percent of his net worth ($1.3 billion) to charity. Much of his wealth has gone to universities, health care, Catholic education, science education, and services for people with developmental disabilities. (Golisano has a handicapped son himself.)
It's unfortunate that some Catholic bloggers have used their disagreements with AMU over Golisano to cast doubts on Tom Monaghan's and the university's pro-life credentials. Whatever one might think about Monaghan, his commitment to the protection of innocent life is beyond reproach. His perseverance in the face of a boycott against Domino's Pizza by pro-abortion activists is a matter of public record.
So all of that leaves us here: Tom Golisano, a pro-life Catholic, gave $4 million to Ave Maria University, a pro-life Catholic college. What's so bad about that?
Deal W. Hudson is the director of InsideCatholic.com and the author of Onward, Christian Soldiers: The Growing Political Power of Catholics and Evangelicals in the United States (Simon and Schuster).
- - -
The mission of InsideCatholic.com is to be a voice for authentic Catholicism in the public square.We believe that truth is both attractive and compelling and that in the marketplace of ideas, it will invariably win out.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More College & University News
- Dr. Beena George Named New UST Cameron Dean
- UST Honors Student Sings Her Way to Grad School
- Archbishop Josť H. Gomez at Franciscan University: In this Time of Mission
- Brother and Sister Plant It Forward at UST
- UST's Macias Accepted to Thomistic Seminar
- UST's Taco Tasting Raises $35,000 for Scholarships
- Hattrup Dissertation Unanimously Passed at UST
- Learning Knows No Age for Grad
- UST Grad Speaker Highlights Leading with Faith, Character
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
Find your College Now
Atheists can go to heaven
Francis: All people are redeemed through Jesus
Died in other's arms
Two third graders were inseperable in life, death
Finding shelter again
Somali refugees now forced to flee Syria
Less teen Hispanic moms
Decline in teenage birth rates acute in Hispanics
L.A.'s first Jewish mayor
Garcetti is of Hispanic, Italian, Jewish descent
U.S. drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
Friend of bomber admits to additional murders
Diseases strike Africa
Cholera, measles imperil children on continent
Sick of deception
Democrat threatens IRS with special prosecutor
Strides being made
AIDS/HIV-related deaths dropping in Africa
Juan Williams denounces investigations of reporter
Recovering from attack
Man doing well after cannibal attack
Cup of tea for thee
Chamomile found to have anti-cancer agent
Fourth scandal brewing?
Did secretary wrongly solicit for organization?