Pope Speaks Clearly to Educators
Appeals to 'Academic Freedom' Cannot Justify Positions Contrary to the Faith.
The Pope drew special attention to what he called "harmful developments" in Catholic education regarding human sexuality. "Particularly disturbing," he said, "is the reduction of the precious and delicate area of education in sexuality to management of 'risk', bereft of any reference to the beauty of conjugal love."
The Pope suggested that in nations such as America where the State provides generously for free public education, the need for Catholic education is questioned. Therefore, he said, Catholic education is about bearing witness to the truth of Christ and the Christian faith.
He asked the educators: "Do we accept the truth Christ reveals? Is the faith tangible in our universities and schools?" He concluded the point noting, "Fostering personal intimacy with Jesus Christ and communal witness to his loving truth is indispensable in Catholic institutions of learning."
"Teachers and administrators, whether in universities or schools, have the duty and privilege to ensure that students receive instruction in Catholic doctrine and practice," he said.
"This requires that public witness to the way of Christ, as found in the Gospel and upheld by the Church's Magisterium, shapes all aspects of an institution's life, both inside and outside the classroom.
Divergence from this vision weakens Catholic identity and, far from advancing freedom, inevitably leads to confusion, whether moral, intellectual or spiritual."
LifeSiteNews.com is a non-profit Internet service dedicated to issues of culture, life, and family. It was launched in September 1997. LifeSiteNews Daily News reports and information pages are used by numerous organizations and publications, educators, professionals and political, religious and life and family organization leaders and grassroots people across North America and internationally.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More College & University News
- Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, Orsy No Evil: Georgetown University and Catholic Identity
- U.S. Conference of the Pontifical Academy of St. Thomas Aquinas
- Casa Juan Diego Founders Given Faithful Citizenship Award
- MAFC Grad Becomes a Passionist for Christ
- Another semester and deeper in debt: More than 70 percent of all college students reliant on aid
- Pope Francis Surprises Two Professors in Rome
- Professors Publish Philosophy Books
- Is it College or Kollege? Congress can't agree, so student loan rates will double on Monday
- UST Nursing Awards 54 Scholarships
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?