A Devotion in Honour of the Sorrowful Heart of Mary
V. Incline unto my aid, O Lord.
R. O Lord, make haste to help me.
1. I compassionate Thee, sorrowing Mary, for that affliction which thy tender heart suffered at the time of the prophecy of the holy old man Simeon. O dear Mother, by thy heart thus afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of humility, and the gift of the fear of God.
2. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for those bitter pangs which thy most feeling heart suffered in thy flight and sojourn in Egypt. O dear Mother, by thy heart immersed in so great sorrows, obtain for me the virtue of liberality, especially towards the poor, and the gift of piety.
3. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for those griefs which thy solicitous heart experienced in the loss of thy beloved Son. O dear Mother, by thy heart filled with maternal anxieties, obtain for me the virtue of chastity and the gift of knowledge.
4. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for that sorrow which oppressed thy maternal heart, in meeting Jesus carrying His Cross. O dear Mother, by thy most loving heart, so much afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of patience, and the gift of fortitude.
5. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for that martyrdom which thy generous heart sustained, in being present with thine agonizing Jesus. O dear Mother, by thy heart undergoing so severe a martyrdom, obtain for me the virtue of temperance, and the gift of counsel.
6. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for those pangs which thine afflicted heart endured, when the lance pierced the side of Jesus, and wounded His most amiable Heart. O dear Mother, by thy heart transfixed, obtain for me the virtue of fraternal charity, and the gift of understanding.
7. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for that anguish which thy loving heart experienced in the burial of Jesus. O dear Mother, by thy sacred heart, thus steeped in bitter grief, obtain for me the virtue of diligence, and the gift of wisdom.
V. Pray for us, O most sorrowful Virgin, R. That we may be made worthy of the promise of Christ.
Let Us Pray, - We beseech Thee, O Lord Jesus Christ, that the Blessed Virgin Mary whose heart at the time of Thy passion was pierced through with the sword of sorrow, may intercede for us before the throne of mercy, now and at the hour of our death; who, with the Father and the Holy Ghost, livest and reignest, one God, world without end.
MORE Devotion Prayers (16)
- A Devotion in Honour of the Seven Sorrows and Joys of Saint Joseph
- A Devotion in Honour of the Sorrowful Heart of Mary
- Adoro Te Devote
- Anima Devota (Prayer After Communion)
- Daily Prayer For The Holy Souls
- Daily Prayer To The Holy Spirit #1
- Daily Prayer To The Holy Spirit #2
- Dedication of the Day - by St. Ignatius Loyola
- God Alone Suffices
- My Daily Prayer
- Offering and Prayer of St. Ignatius Loyola - "Suscipe"
- Prayer for Devoted Laity in the Church - by Rev. Lawrence G. Lovasik, S.V.D
- Rite of Eucharistic Devotion (reposition)
- Rite of Eucharistic Devotion Rite of Eucharistic Devotion
- The Scala Santa Devotion
- The Scala Santa Devotion
Stations of the Cross
Becoming a Catholic
A Guide for Confession
Explanation of the Mass
Mysteries of the Rosary
Holy Days of Obligation
What are Indulgences?
Introduction to Indulgences
Church Teachings on Indulgences
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy
The Last Things
A List of Roman Catholic Popes
The Ecumenical Councils
Browse Prayers by Alphabet
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, is seated ... continue reading
O Blessed Saint Joseph, faithful guardian and protector of virgins, to whom God entrusted Jesus and Mary, I implore you by the love which you did bear them, to preserve me from every defilement of soul and body, that I may always serve them in holiness and purity of love. Amen. continue reading