Ugly, thorny insects sweep out of the Mississippi River to fly and mate
It's a plague of Biblical proportions. Ugly mayflies have descended on the state of Wisconsin, covering up exterior services like so much black, metallic dust. Photos coming out of Wisconsin is sure to send viewers itching - so beware of some of the sights in this article.
When summer arrives, Mayflies take flight and proceed to mate before immediately going back to the water to lay eggs and die.
The massive swarm of mayflies, an "emergence" of them, was partially expected by meteorologists. Mayfly nymphs spend a year or two in the Mississippi River, munching on organic decay. When summer arrives, they take flight and proceed to mate before immediately going back to the water to lay eggs and die.
Live Catholic, Shop Catholic -- by going here --
Just how many mayflies are there? Enough that they show up on weather radar:
"The Mississippi River produced a massive radar echo as mayflies emerged from the water and became airborne. The mayflies were detectable on radar around 8:45 p.m. -- The radar loop below shows the reflected radar energy (reflectivity) from 8:35 pm to just after midnight. The higher the values indicate greater concentrations of flies."
The recent emergence was so large people were comparing it to the last Biblical-style, the one in 2012. The recent horde of flies was so dense it may have triggered a multivehicle car wreck.
In that incident, police in the town of Trenton say a large hatch of mayflies may have triggered a three-vehicle crash on a Wisconsin road.
The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that the road had become slick from the mayflies, at least one of the drivers involved in the crash lost control of her vehicle. They also said visibility was limited at the time of the crash due to the massive cloud of mayflies in the air.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for January 2015
General Intention: That those from diverse religious traditions and all people of good will may work together for peace.
Missionary Intention: That in this year dedicated to consecrated life, religious men and women may rediscover the joy of following Christ and strive to serve the poor with zeal.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- The Prophetic Connection Between the March for Life and the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
- Early Christian Deacon and Martyr Vincent Calls Us to Heroic Christian Witness in a Hostile Culture
- Is Israel beholden to Obama? Should the president be able to hold the American people hostage via threat of veto? Republicans and Israeli prime minister say no!
- Caught in the act: Telephone scammers get comeuppance from plucky woman
- The First Right is the Right to Life. It is Time to End Legal Abortion on Demand
- Upset over private donations, Liberal protestors barged in on the Supreme Court
- Archbishop Josť H. Gomez: OneLife LA and 9 Days for Life
- The Dream of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Must Include Our Youngest Neighbors in the Womb
- Roe v Wade, Doe v Bolton: The Deception Continues
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?