Ugly, thorny insects sweep out of the Mississippi River to fly and mate
It's a plague of Biblical proportions. Ugly mayflies have descended on the state of Wisconsin, covering up exterior services like so much black, metallic dust. Photos coming out of Wisconsin is sure to send viewers itching - so beware of some of the sights in this article.
When summer arrives, Mayflies take flight and proceed to mate before immediately going back to the water to lay eggs and die.
The massive swarm of mayflies, an "emergence" of them, was partially expected by meteorologists. Mayfly nymphs spend a year or two in the Mississippi River, munching on organic decay. When summer arrives, they take flight and proceed to mate before immediately going back to the water to lay eggs and die.
Live Catholic, Shop Catholic -- by going here --
Just how many mayflies are there? Enough that they show up on weather radar:
"The Mississippi River produced a massive radar echo as mayflies emerged from the water and became airborne. The mayflies were detectable on radar around 8:45 p.m. -- The radar loop below shows the reflected radar energy (reflectivity) from 8:35 pm to just after midnight. The higher the values indicate greater concentrations of flies."
The recent emergence was so large people were comparing it to the last Biblical-style, the one in 2012. The recent horde of flies was so dense it may have triggered a multivehicle car wreck.
In that incident, police in the town of Trenton say a large hatch of mayflies may have triggered a three-vehicle crash on a Wisconsin road.
The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that the road had become slick from the mayflies, at least one of the drivers involved in the crash lost control of her vehicle. They also said visibility was limited at the time of the crash due to the massive cloud of mayflies in the air.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2014
Christmas, hope for humanity: That the birth of the Redeemer may bring peace and hope to all people of good will.
Parents: That parents may be true evangelizers, passing on to their children the precious gift of faith.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- The Assassination of Two Police Officers in New York Reveals a City at a Crossroads
- The Pope, the Pets, the Paparazzi and the Propaganda Media
- A journey to the land of the free: Part One -- Beaten and scared young children flee violence and turn to the United States for hope
- Looking forward to your tax refund this year? Don't hold your breath. The IRS suffers after extreme budget cuts.
- Pope Francis, the real architect behind the U.S.-Cuban thaw
- OBAMACARE DOES NOT WORK! Vermont gives up free healthcare plan as too expensive
- Why is he so upset? Because of the secret Republican time bomb in the government funding bill
- Faith in the United States' race relations hits a strikingly low point after no indictment verdicts
- The disgusting new fact of American life: More than 46 million Americans on food stamps for 37 straight month
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?