Though men may lift the barren gift, rich incense clouds the air. When loaf and cup once more raise up the Flesh and Bone of prayer.
Oh, star set high in a winter sky by God's almighty hand stretch forth thy light and shine tonight
on men in every land.In hearts renew the flame that drew proud kings to an Infant's birth - the first crusade when a humble maid gave God to the hungry earth.
The Star Still Shines
Oh, star set high in a winter sky
by God's almighty hand
stretch forth thy light and shine tonight
on men in every land.
In hearts renew the flame that drew
proud kings to an Infant's birth -
the first crusade when a humble maid
gave God to the hungry earth.
Retard the pace of men who race
for coins of this world's minting.
From the measure spanned by a Baby's hand
pours golden wealth unstinting.
Though men may lift the barren gift,
rich incense clouds the air.
When loaf and cup once more raise up
the Flesh and Bone of prayer.
And the blood not dry and the battle cry
of the wars that are never won
seem but as loss 'neath the tall dark cross
and the myrrh that anoints God's Son.
The gifts of today could never pay
for a stall in a barren manger
but the star still shines, and its golden lines
light the feet of the weary stranger.
Mary Jo Matthews is a journalist, writer and poet who lives near Athens, Georgia. Mary Jo, now 86, was a 19 year old student at the then College of Notre Dame of Maryland when she wrote this poem.
Copywriter 2015 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2015
Universal: Scientists: That those involved in scientific research may serve the well-being of the whole human person.
Evangelization: Contribution of women: That the unique contribution of women to the life of the Church may be recognized always.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Christmas / Advent News
- Fr Peter M. J. Stravinskas: Epiphany and the Missionary Mandate of the Church
- Love is Born on Christmas Morn and the World is Born Again
- Father Peter M. J. Stravinskas on Christmas: In the Fullness of Time a Savior Has Come
- Redeemer in the Womb: Jesus was an Embryonic Person
- Amazing Realities of Christmas and the Incarnation
- Life is an Advent Search for God: The Importance of Effort
- Advent: Dominus humilitate adveniet: The Lord Will Come by Humility
- Advent: A Time To Seek Answers To Humankind's Most Pressing Questions
- Gaudete Sunday: We Rejoice Because the Lord is Always Near
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?