Though men may lift the barren gift, rich incense clouds the air. When loaf and cup once more raise up the Flesh and Bone of prayer.
Oh, star set high in a winter sky by God's almighty hand stretch forth thy light and shine tonight
on men in every land.In hearts renew the flame that drew proud kings to an Infant's birth - the first crusade when a humble maid gave God to the hungry earth.
The Star Still Shines
Oh, star set high in a winter sky
by God's almighty hand
stretch forth thy light and shine tonight
on men in every land.
In hearts renew the flame that drew
proud kings to an Infant's birth -
the first crusade when a humble maid
gave God to the hungry earth.
Retard the pace of men who race
for coins of this world's minting.
From the measure spanned by a Baby's hand
pours golden wealth unstinting.
Though men may lift the barren gift,
rich incense clouds the air.
When loaf and cup once more raise up
the Flesh and Bone of prayer.
And the blood not dry and the battle cry
of the wars that are never won
seem but as loss 'neath the tall dark cross
and the myrrh that anoints God's Son.
The gifts of today could never pay
for a stall in a barren manger
but the star still shines, and its golden lines
light the feet of the weary stranger.
Mary Jo Matthews is a journalist, writer and poet who lives near Athens, Georgia. Mary Jo, now 86, was a 19 year old student at the then College of Notre Dame of Maryland when she wrote this poem.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2014
Christmas, hope for humanity: That the birth of the Redeemer may bring peace and hope to all people of good will.
Parents: That parents may be true evangelizers, passing on to their children the precious gift of faith.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Christmas / Advent News
- Advent: A Time To Seek Answers To Humankind's Most Pressing Questions
- Advent: Dominus humilitate adveniet: The Lord Will Come by Humility
- Gaudete Sunday: We Rejoice Because the Lord is Always Near
- Learning from Elijah in the Advent Season of Life
- ADVENT CONVERSION: Is it Possible to Stop Sinning? 5 Ways we can Sin Less
- 100 Best Recordings of Sacred Music
- Archbishop JOSÉ H. GOMEZ: Advent is Always a Season of Mary
- Outrageous and shocking: New-age Advent calendars stray away from Advent's true meaning
- John the Baptizer shows us the way to Happiness and Freedom
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?