Bill Donohue of the Catholic League reports from across the nation about nativity scenes being vandalized.
Here is a list of some of the incidents that came to our attention:
• In Sandusky, Ohio a 50-year old figure of the Baby Jesus was stolen from a downtown park; it was found a few days later hanging from a ceiling fan in the apartment of the thief who stole it
• A Christian pastor in Loma Linda, California was beaten and left in critical condition while decorating his church
• In Orange County, Florida a Christian church’s drive-through nativity scene was completely demolished by vandals
• The Blessed Virgin figure was stolen from a nativity scene in front of a home in Colorado Springs, Colorado
• Twice within a couple of weeks, the crèche in Norwood, Massachusetts was vandalized
• A drive-through nativity built by a Christian church in Stone Mountain, Georgia was destroyed
• In Waggaman, Louisiana, a 38-year old man, accompanied by two boys, trashed Christmas decorations at five homes
• A 50-year old statue of a shepherd was beheaded in a nativity scene in downtown Kingsport, Tennessee
• The Holy Family was stolen from a crèche outside of a home in New Albany, Indiana
• The nativity scene in front of a Christian church in Christoval, Texas was splattered with red paint
• Figures of the Baby Jesus were stolen from homes or churches in Memphis, Tennessee; Littlestown, Pennsylvania; Valrico, California; Akron, Ohio; Chattanooga, Tennessee; Andover, New York; Sumter, South Carolina; St. Charles, Illinois; Moberly, Missouri; Lehighton, Pennsylvania; Bismarck, North Dakota; Omaha, Nebraska; Paw Paw, Michigan; North Richland Hills, Texas; Eureka Springs, Arkansas; and Independence Mall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The Catholic League is the nation's largest Catholic civil rights organization. Founded in 1973 by the late Father Virgil C. Blum, S.J., the Catholic League defends the right of Catholics – lay and clergy alike – to participate in American public life without defamation or discrimination. It is led by its' President, William A. Donohue, Ph.D.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Christmas / Advent News
- Second Sunday of Advent Homily: Do You Want To Experience the Kingdom of Heaven?
- Dr Deal Hudson on Why the Wise Men Followed the Star
- Advent: Mary, John the Baptist and Pope Francis Call Us to Gospel Joy
- Dr. Deal W Hudson on Why God Became Man
- Fr. Randy Sly on Advent as a Time for Reflection,Repentance and Renewal
- Prepare the Way for the Lord: Why We Celebrate Advent
- Rick Santorum's The Christmas Candle
- University of St. Thomas Houston Launches Catholic TV Programming
- A Layman's Plea for Tolerance of Catholics
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?