"In the midst of an increasingly materialistic and secular society, it is all too easy to lose sight of what Christmas really means."
Public service announcements (PSAs) in English and Spanish will air on television and radio, encouraging people to remember the real religious significance of the Christmas season and to celebrate it in various meaningful ways, including by helping the less fortunate.
"In the midst of an increasingly materialistic and secular society, it is all too easy to lose sight of what Christmas really means. We give gifts to each other because it is the day on which we celebrate the ultimate gift: the Christ child, the savior of mankind," said Supreme Knight Carl Anderson. "Even those who do not share the Christian faith can and do appreciate the message of peace and hope that this Christian holiday – holy day – brings to the world."
The Knights have been producing the PSAs since the 1980s. The radio and TV spots can be accessed at www.kofc.org
Last year, the PSAs reached more than 43 million television viewers and 37 million radio listeners. Hundreds of billboards with the same message were also posted around the country.
This month the Knights kicked off the Christmas season with the "Light up for Christ" program. Councils were encouraged to hold a Christmas tree or Nativity scene lighting ceremony on the first Tuesday of December to commemorate Christ's birth
Founded in continued response to Pope John Paul II’s call for a “New Evangelization,” the Catholic News Agency (CNA) has been, since 2004, one of the fastest growing Catholic news providers to the English speaking world.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Christmas / Advent News
- Mother of the Re-Created World: St. Anselm on the Immaculate Conception
- The Solemnity of The Immaculate Conception: The Virgin Mary and Advent
- Second Sunday of Advent Homily: Do You Want To Experience the Kingdom of Heaven?
- Dr Deal Hudson on Why the Wise Men Followed the Star
- Advent: Mary, John the Baptist and Pope Francis Call Us to Gospel Joy
- Dr. Deal W Hudson on Why God Became Man
- Fr. Randy Sly on Advent as a Time for Reflection,Repentance and Renewal
- Prepare the Way for the Lord: Why We Celebrate Advent
- Rick Santorum's The Christmas Candle
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?