Judges - Chapter 17
1 In the highlands of Ephraim there was a man called Micayehu.
2 He said to his mother, 'The eleven hundred silver shekels which were taken from you and concerning which you uttered a curse, having said in my hearing . . . Look, I have got that silver. I was the one who took it.' His mother said, 'May Yahweh bless my boy!'
3 He gave the eleven hundred shekels back to his mother, who said, 'I have indeed vowed to give this silver to Yahweh for my son, to have a statue carved and an idol cast in metal, but now I should like to give it back to you.' He, however, returned the money to his mother.
9 Micah asked him, 'Where do you come from?' The other replied, 'I am a Levite from Bethlehem in Judah. I am travelling, and am going to settle wherever I can find a home.'
11 The Levite agreed to remain in the man's house, and the young man became like one of his sons to him.
Reading 1, Judges 6:11-24: 11 The Angel of Yahweh came and sat under the terebinth at ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 85:9, 11-12, 13-14: 9 His saving help is near for those who ... Gospel, Matthew 19:23-30: 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'In truth I tell you, it is ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- St. Philip Benizi: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- New research shows global warming is not your fault. Here's why
- Cultured meats coming to a store near you in 2018
- Here are four martyrs who died, protecting the seal of confession
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse spell doom for humanity? HD Video
- Trump announces new Afghan strategy - do we get to win this time? HD ...
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 24th, 2017 HD
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian waters HD
- Jerry Lewis passes away at 91, was most proud of his family HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 HD