Jeremiah - Chapter 42
7 Ten days later the word of Yahweh came to Jeremiah.
9 and said, 'Yahweh, God of Israel, to whom you deputed me to present your petition says this,
10 "If you will only stay in this country, I shall build you and not overthrow you; I shall plant you and not uproot you, for I am sorry about the disaster I have inflicted on you.
11 Do not be afraid of the king of Babylon, whom you fear now; do not fear him, Yahweh declares, for I am with you to save you and rescue you from his clutches.
18 Yes, Yahweh Sabaoth, the God of Israel, says this: Just as my furious anger was poured out on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so will my fury be poured out on you if you go to Egypt: you will become an object of execration and horror, a curse, a laughing-stock; and you will never see this place again."
19 Remnant of Judah, Yahweh has told you, "Do not go into Egypt." Understand clearly that today I have given you a solemn warning.
22 So understand this clearly: you will die by sword, famine and plague in the place where you want to go and settle.'
Reading 1, Judges 6:11-24: 11 The Angel of Yahweh came and sat under the terebinth at ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 85:9, 11-12, 13-14: 9 His saving help is near for those who ... Gospel, Matthew 19:23-30: 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'In truth I tell you, it is ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 24th, 2017 HD Video
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse spell doom for humanity? HD Video
- President Trump announces new strategy for Afghanistan - do we get to ...
- Here are four martyrs who died, protecting the seal of confession
- St. Andrew the Scot: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse fulful a biblical prophecy? Here's when the ...
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian waters HD
- Jerry Lewis passes away at 91, was most proud of his family HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 HD
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug on her life support HD