Jeremiah - Chapter 42
7 Ten days later the word of Yahweh came to Jeremiah.
9 and said, 'Yahweh, God of Israel, to whom you deputed me to present your petition says this,
10 "If you will only stay in this country, I shall build you and not overthrow you; I shall plant you and not uproot you, for I am sorry about the disaster I have inflicted on you.
11 Do not be afraid of the king of Babylon, whom you fear now; do not fear him, Yahweh declares, for I am with you to save you and rescue you from his clutches.
18 Yes, Yahweh Sabaoth, the God of Israel, says this: Just as my furious anger was poured out on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so will my fury be poured out on you if you go to Egypt: you will become an object of execration and horror, a curse, a laughing-stock; and you will never see this place again."
19 Remnant of Judah, Yahweh has told you, "Do not go into Egypt." Understand clearly that today I have given you a solemn warning.
22 So understand this clearly: you will die by sword, famine and plague in the place where you want to go and settle.'
Reading 1, Jeremiah 20:10-13: 10 I heard so many disparaging me, 'Terror on every side! ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 69:8-10, 14, 17, 33-35: 8 I am estranged from my brothers, ... Gospel, Matthew 10:26-33: 26 'So do not be afraid of them. Everything now covered up will ... ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Sunday, June 25, 2017
- 'Half-Man-Half-Beast sent by the Devil' sparks fear in South African ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD Video
- St. William of Vercelli: Saint of the Day for Sunday, June 25, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD Video
- How a Catholic should deal with Tinder and other dating apps
- The end of the farm as we know it has arrived - here's how we're ...
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD
- Pope Francis prepares an incredible gift of love and solidarity for South Sudan HD
- St. Emma HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, June 24th, 2017 HD