Jeremiah - Chapter 4
1 'If you come back, Israel, Yahweh declares, if you come back to me, if you take your Horrors out of my sight, if you go roving no more,
3 'For Yahweh says this to the men of Judah and Jerusalem, "Clear the ground that lies neglected, do not sow among thorns.
4 Circumcise yourselves for Yahweh, apply circumcision to your hearts, men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem, or my wrath will leap out like a fire and burn with no one to quench it, in return for the wickedness of your deeds." '
7 The lion is up from his thicket, the destroyer of nations is on his way, he has come from his home to reduce your land to a desert; your towns will be in ruins, uninhabited.
8 So wrap yourselves in sackcloth, lament and wail, since Yahweh's burning anger has not turned away from us.
12 A gale of wind comes to me from over there. Now I myself shall pass sentence on them!'
14 Wash your heart clean of wickedness, Jerusalem, and so be saved. How long will you go on harbouring your pernicious thoughts?
15 For a voice from Dan shouts the news, proclaims disaster from the highlands of Ephraim.
16 Report it to the nations, proclaim it to Jerusalem, 'Enemies are coming from a distant country, shouting their war cry against the towns of Judah;
17 they surround her like watchmen round a field because she has rebelled against me', Yahweh declares.
25 I looked -- there was no one at all, the very birds of heaven had all fled.
29 At the din of horseman and archer the entire city takes to flight: some plunge into the thickets, others scale the rocks; every town is abandoned, not a single person is left there.
30 And, once despoiled, what are you going to do? You may dress yourself in scarlet, put on ornaments of gold, enlarge your eyes with paint but you make yourself pretty in vain. Your former lovers disdain you, your life is what they are seeking.
31 Yes, I hear screams like those of a woman in labour, anguish like that of a woman giving birth to her first child; they are the screams of the daughter of Zion, gasping, hands outstretched, 'Unhappy me! I am dying, the murderers have killed me!'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 126:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 6
Gospel, Luke 8:16-18
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Monday, September 25, 2017
- St. Finbar: Saint of the Day for Monday, September 25, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, September 25th, 2017 HD Video
- Inspiring martyred Oklahoma priest officially beatified
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 HD Video
- In the Kingdom of God No One is Unemployed
- Trump speech rocks the NFL, protests spread, but who's right?
- Daily Reading for Monday, September 25th, 2017 HD
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD