The Proverbs - Chapter 29
The Proverbs Chapters
1 Whoever is stiff-necked under reproof will be suddenly and irremediably broken.
3 The lover of Wisdom makes his father glad, but the patron of prostitutes fritters his wealth away.
6 In the sin of the wicked lies a snare, but the upright exults and rejoices.
7 The upright understands the cause of the weak, the wicked has not the wit to understand it.
12 When a ruler listens to false reports, all his ministers will be scoundrels.
13 Poor and oppressor are found together, Yahweh gives light to the eyes of both.
15 The stick and the reprimand bestow wisdom, a young man left to himself brings shame on his mother.
19 Not by words is a slave corrected: even if he understands, he will take no notice.
21 If a slave is pampered from childhood, he will prove ungrateful in the end.
23 Pride brings humiliation, whoever humbles himself will win honour.
25 To be afraid of human beings is a snare, whoever trusts in Yahweh is secure.
Reading 1, Joshua 3:7-10, 11, 13-17: 7 Yahweh said to Joshua, 'This very day, I shall ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 114:1-2, 3-4, 5-6: 1 Alleluia! When Israel came out of Egypt, ... Gospel, Matthew 18:21--19:1: 21 Then Peter went up to him and said, 'Lord, how often must ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- St. Clare of Montefalco: Saint of the Day for Thursday, August 17, 2017
- North Korea launches purge against Christians as faith spreads across ...
- Over 20 million people facing starvation - and we should care!
- Pro-life wins in Texas with new law to protect religious freedom and ...
- Get ready for self checkout everywhere: 3.5 million retail cashiers ...
- Should history be rewritten to appease the angry? HD Video
- Daily Readings for Thursday, August 17, 2017
- Daily Reading for Friday, August 18th, 2017 HD
- Catholic Online YouTube HD
- Today is the Feast of the Assumption. Why do we celebrate it? HD
- North Korea backs down in face of U.S. threat, but why? HD