TV talk show host David Letterman threatened on jihadist Web site
'We ask Allah to paralyze his tongue and grant the sincere monotheists his neck,' posting reads
While late night TV talk show host David Letterman has left to enjoy a summer vacation - plans for rest and relaxation have been dimmed considerably by calls from a jihadist Web site to end his life. "We ask Allah to paralyze his tongue and grant the sincere monotheists his neck," reads the posting. The members of the Web site have taken issue with a joke his made on his June 5 telecast that they thought was in questionable taste.
The members of a jihadist Web site have taken issue with a joke David Letterman made on his June 5 telecast that they thought was in questionable taste.
Kashmiri was killed June 3 during a U.S. military strike in Pakistan.
In a threat posted on the Shumukh al-Islam web forum, followers were asked to "cut the tongue of the lowly Jew and shut it forever." Letterman, for the record is a Protestant.
"He showed his evil nature and deep hatred for Islam and Muslims, and said that Ilyas Kashmiri was killed and he joined bin Laden," a poster identified as Umar al-Basrawi on the Web site. "We ask Allah to paralyze his tongue and grant the sincere monotheists his neck.
"He said that Kashmiri was killed in an airstrike in Pakistan ... then, he showed his evil nature and deep hatred for Islam and Muslims, and said that Ilyas Kashmiri was killed and he joined bin Laden. Then the despicable one put his hand on his neck and demonstrated the way of slaughter!!" wrote al-Basrawi.
"Is there not among you a Sayyid Nosair al-Mairi ... to cut the tongue of this lowly Jew and shut it forever?" read the message. Al-Mairi killed Jewish Defense League founder Meir Kahane in 1990.
The FBI is reportedly investigating the threat and Letterman has been informed of the posting.
"The concern is that there is someone who will read it, agree with it and say, 'I want to be the Sayyid Nosair of 2011 and kill David Letterman,'" Adam Raisman, an analyst for Site Monitoring Service says.
Letterman has received such threats before in the past. In 2009, the talk show host was the target of a $2 million extortion attempt by a CBS News producer, who threatened to expose the host's sexual relationships with members of his staff.
In 2005, a former painter at Letterman's ranch in Montana was jailed for plotting to kidnap Letterman's nanny and son.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More TV News
- First Lady Michelle Obama to appear on TV sitcom 'Parks and Recreation'
- With ratings in free-fall, Piers Morgan to quit show
- Russell Johnson, who played professor on TV's 'Gilligan's Island' dies at 89
- Sexy Santa on TV's 'Glee' draws outrage from moms
- MSNBC host Martin Bashir leaves after MOST inappropriate comment - or was he really fired?
- A news channel cannot subsist on news alone: Radical changes coming to CNN
- Founder of Trinity Broadcasting network, Paul Crouch dies
- Bob Barker to host 'The Price is Right' on his 90th birthday
- Longtime TV favorite Marcia Wallace passes away at 70
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?