Android coming to a TV near you
Google re-ignites Web TV for new gadget
Google, according to the Wall Street Journal, "is planning to introduce Android-based television software to developers at an event in May, according to people familiar with the matter." The announcement comes after many had assumed that Web TV was a thing of the past.
A release of Android for Internet-enabled TVs would open the door for app developers to bring their applications over from the mobile market and could put Google ahead.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Android, most commonly seen on smart phones such as Google's own Nexus One, would open Internet-enabled televisions to more content. While many thought Web TV was a thing of the past, with the advent of more and more Internet capable computers finding their ways to the home and workplace, the idea seems to be gathering more interest. At the Consumer Electronics Show in January, applications such as the streaming-music provider Pandora and video chat service Skype were shown becoming integrated on more and more devices out of the box.
A release of Android for Internet-enabled TVs would open the door for app developers to bring their applications over from the mobile market and could put Google ahead. Android would also open up the field to innovation, as more developers who are already familiar with the platform could begin creating apps for a reemerging technology.
The decision to address developers suggests that the Internet giant may be hoping to begin a race to build applications for its TV platform, much in the same way that Google, Apple Inc. and others have courted developers for smart phones.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More TV News
- Mother of TV psychologists Dr. Joyce Brothers dies at 85
- The British are coming! New Head of NBC Division said to be Deborah Turness
- All four 'American Idol' judges get the ax: What now?
- Danish TV show where men critique women as they disrobe draws criticism
- Actor Allan Arbus dies at 95; played psychiatrist on 'MASH' TV show
- Does the viewer have the right to free TV?
- Jimmy Fallon, less than 40, to become 'Tonight Show' host
- Kurt Warner talks to Catholic Online about hit new reality show, 'The Moment'
- Verizon seeks to change cable TV game rules big time
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?