Father's Day families flock to see ‘Man of Steel’
Superman epic soars to $200.3 million in first four days
Everyone got it in their head to take dad to the movies this Father's Day Weekend, and the latest Superman epic, "Man of Steel" was the film to see. Raking in $200.3 million in just four days, crowds ignored negative or mixed reviews to make it this weekend's box office champ.
Moviegoers ignored mostly negative reviews to make "Man of Steel" the top movie of this past weekend.
Even with a running time of two hours and 23 minutes, the Chris Nolan-Zack Snyder-David S. Goyer-Henry Cavill PG-13 "tent pole" release set a new June best-ever opening weekend record.
"Man of Steel" was the best debut of 2013 behind only Disney/Marvel's "Iron Man 3." Internationally, Warner Bros says "Man of Steel" ranked #1 everywhere with a gross of $71.6M from 9,710 screens in the 24 overseas markets in release.
"In North America, Superman audiences thumbed their noses at the negative reviews from film critics and gave it an "A-" CinemaScore. Man of Steel' beat all expectations," a Warner Bros executive says.
Sony/Columbia Pictures' raunchy apocalyptic comedy "This Is The End" came in at second. With a dearth of both "R"-rated movies or comedies in the marketplace, "This is the End" raked in $32.8 million over a five-day period, which is what it cost to produce.
The Top Ten at the nation's movies theaters went like this:
1. "Man of Steel"
2. "This is the End"
3. "Now You See Me"
4. "Fast & Furious 6"
5. "The Purge"
6. "The Internship"
8. "Star Trek Into Darkness"
9. "After Earth"
10. "Iron Man 3"
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Movies News
- Two lost Peter Sellers shorts to be screened at festival
- 'The Sound of Music' star Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- 'Fast & Furious' star Paul Walker killed in 'possible street race'
- 'Catching Fire' sets November opening box-office record
- 'Catching Fire' is expected to do just that, at box offices worldwide
- You get to keep that DVD - forever! Blockbuster Video to shut down altogether
- Captain Phillipps, el nuevo filme de Tom Hanks, retrata heroísmo de marino católico
- 'Gravity' holds on to the top spot this movie weekend
- 'Gravity' has substantial weight with $55.8 million for first weekend
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?