How George Lucas made $4 billion yesterday
Not a bad payday for the film genius.
George Lucas had a good day yesterday, earning $4 billion on a deal that converts the "Star Wars" franchise into a Disney operation. The deal will also bring a "Star Wars, Episode 7" to the big screen in 2015.
The legendary filmmaker has transferred the Star Wars franchise and Lucasfilms, his production studio, to Disney. The deal nets Lucas stock and cash valued just over $4 billion.
Disney CEO Robert Iger issued his own statement saying, "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."
Lucas won't be abandoning his franchise however. Lucas is expected to stay on board as a project consultant.
As for the deal itself, it does require federal antitrust approval. Disney has bought out several smaller, popular media franchises such as Pixar and Marvel Entertainment.
Disney believes the "Star Wars, Episode 7" will bolster its 2015 earnings. Certainly, the addition of Lucasfilms and "Star Wars" improves the Disney portfolio.
In addition to acquiring Star Wars, the acquisition of Lucasfilms also brings Industrial Light & Magic, Skywalker Sound, and the Indiana Jones franchise to Disney.
As for George Lucas, he isn't speaking much about the private deal, but it is understandable that he should want to retire comfortably on the profits of his entertainment empire. With $4 billion to spend and annual revenues to boot, he should accomplish this task easily.
Without a doubt, the force is with Lucas as he closes his multi-billion dollar deal with Disney.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Movies News
- 'Fast & Furious' star Paul Walker killed in 'possible street race'
- 'Catching Fire' sets November opening box-office record
- 'Catching Fire' is expected to do just that, at box offices worldwide
- You get to keep that DVD - forever! Blockbuster Video to shut down altogether
- Captain Phillipps, el nuevo filme de Tom Hanks, retrata heroísmo de marino católico
- 'Gravity' holds on to the top spot this movie weekend
- 'Gravity' has substantial weight with $55.8 million for first weekend
- Long lost Three Stooges short found in Australian garden shed
- Long-lost silent film starring Mary Pickford unearthed by carpenter
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?