Will 'Skyfall' become biggest Bond ever?
Opening weekend breaks records in 25 overseas markets
Grossing $77.7 million and smashing U.K. box office records, Sony Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's "Skyfall," the 23rd film in the James Bond franchise may be the biggest Bond of them all. Opening overseas in 25 markets, "Skyfall" grossed a whopping $77.7 million, #1 everywhere.
In a tip of the hat to modern day movie-making, 'Skyfall' cost much less than either 'Quantum of Solace' and 'Casino Royale.' 'Skyfall' 'raises the bar' for onscreen product placement and off-screen brand alliances, from 007's Tom Ford-tailored suits to Q's Sony Vaio hardware, to Coke Zero to perfume retailers.
"Skyfall" became the second biggest all-time Friday-to-Sunday opening weekend, behind just the 3-D "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2."
"Skyfall's" opening volley was 76 percent bigger than Daniel Craig's first turn as 007, "Casino Royale," and 30 percent bigger than "Quantum of Solace." IMAX showings are estimating a weekend gross of $3.5 million in 79 locations in 15 territories which include the UK, France, Russia, Korea, Bulgaria, Middle East, Kazakhstan and Brazil.
"Skyfall" also debuted in Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Iceland, Israel and Portugal.
There's no doubt that strong film reviews and advance buzz are giving the 23rd James Bond movie a big thumbs-up. This past weekend is the first indication of how well the Sam Mendes-directed installment will do at the box office with the Eon Production "Skyfall" opening in the UK, France and other Euro territories for Sony Pictures and MGM.
In a tip of the hat to modern day movie-making, "Skyfall" cost much less than either "Quantum of Solace" and "Casino Royale." "Skyfall" "raises the bar" for onscreen product placement and off-screen brand alliances, from 007's Tom Ford-tailored suits to Q's Sony Vaio hardware, to Coke Zero to perfume retailers.
For example, Dutch beer maker Heineken reportedly paid a pretty penny for Bond to sip from its green bottle in an early scene.
Grammy multi-winner Adele sang the Bond theme. Daniel Craig reprises his role as 007, while Javier Bardem playing the villain Raoul Silva, and Naomie Harris and Bérénice Marlohe as Bond girls. Sam Mendes was the first Oscar-winner to direct a James Bond film. Meanwhile, Sony, MGM, and Eon are so pleased with "Skyfall" that its screenwriter John Logan already is writing the next two installments, heretofore only known as "Bond 24" and "Bond 25."
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Skyfall, James Bond, overseas box office, records broken
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Movies News
- Enough to make a T-rex cry: 'Jurassic Park 4' is on hold
- Special effects mastermind Ray Harryhausen dies
- 'Iron Man 3' takes in $680 million in 11 days; second-best U.S. debut ever
- Netflix losing movies: Even less to watch?
- Depression-era movie star Deanna Durbin dies at 91
- Can Walt Disney transform Lucasfilm into another Pixar?
- America's most famous film critic Roger Ebert dies
- 'Not Today' film about human trafficking, parallels St. Francis
- Daniel Day-Lewis becomes first person to win third Oscar for Best Actor for 'Lincoln'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?