'Pirates of the Caribbean' proves to be pure box office gold
Johnny Depp makes Captain Jack Sparrow his signature role
We've had successful movie franchises based on best-selling novels, comic books, TV shows - and now, a popular amusement park ride. The Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland remains that park's most popular ride, so why not translate it to film? Hire Johnny Depp as the charismatic Captain Jack Sparrow, and you've got box office gold, matey! The three films in the series thus far have scored $2,681,667,528 combined.
Johnny Depp usually eschews big-budget blockbusters, but made the character of Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean one of his signature roles.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - In the first installment "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Elizabeth Swann, daughter of the Governor of Port Royal, is kidnapped by the crew of the Black Pearl, led by Captain Hector Barbossa while trying to protect the port from further pirate attacks, in order to lift a curse placed on them after stealing Aztec gold. Blacksmith Will Turner, a childhood friend and secret admirer of Elizabeth, persuades pirate Captain Jack Sparrow to help him in the rescue of her.
Many had predicted that the big-budgeted film would be a colossal flop in 2003. The naysayers ate their words when it became the highest grossing film of its year, and two sequels were rushed into production.
In 2006, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man\'s Chest" was released. In this segment, Lord Cutler Beckett, a powerful and ruthless East India Trading Co. agent, arrests Will and Elizabeth for aiding Jack Sparrow\'s escape in the previous film. Beckett offers clemency if Will agrees to search for Sparrow and his magical compass. At the same time, Sparrow tries to release himself from an old debt with villainous Davy Jones by finding the Dead Man\'s Chest which he can use to command Jones to do what he wants.
"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World\'s End," was released in 2007. Lord Cutler Beckett gains power over Davy Jones, and with the help of Jones\' ship, The Flying Dutchman, he is now executing his plans to extinguish piracy forever. To stand against the East India Trading Co., Will, Elizabeth, Barbossa, and the crew of the Black Pearl goes to rescue Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones\' Locker, because he is one of the Nine Pirate Lords needed to summon an ancient goddess.
A fourth film, "On Stranger Tides," has completed production with returning cast members Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush sans Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Pirates of the Caribbean, Johnny Depp, Walt Disney
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Movies News
- Enough to make a T-rex cry: 'Jurassic Park 4' is on hold
- Special effects mastermind Ray Harryhausen dies
- 'Iron Man 3' takes in $680 million in 11 days; second-best U.S. debut ever
- Netflix losing movies: Even less to watch?
- Depression-era movie star Deanna Durbin dies at 91
- Can Walt Disney transform Lucasfilm into another Pixar?
- America's most famous film critic Roger Ebert dies
- 'Not Today' film about human trafficking, parallels St. Francis
- Daniel Day-Lewis becomes first person to win third Oscar for Best Actor for 'Lincoln'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?