'Eclipse' and 'Airbender' open Fourth of July weekend
Latest chapter in 'Twilight' expected to perform well
When Americans hit the movie theaters this Fourth of July weekend, the latest installment in the "Twilight" series, "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" is expected to perform very well. The fist two installments have garnered $1.1 billion in ticket sales internationally. At the same time, M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender" opens nationwide this week in 3-D.
'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' debuts in more than 4,000 locations. The vampire-romance is predicted to gross more than $150 million domestically through Monday.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" debuts in more than 4,000 locations. The vampire-romance is predicted to gross more than $150 million domestically through Monday. With Independence Day falling on Sunday, the Gothic romance's latest installment should ring up $85 million or so from a record 4,416 theaters.
The second in the series, "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" bowed with $142.8 million in November en route to $296.6 million in total U.S. and Canadian box office. The original "Twilight" unspooled in November 2008 with $69.6 million and wrapped with $192.8 million domestically.
"The advance ticket sales are as good as for 'New Moon,' and certainly the tracking data is," Summit distribution topper Richie Fay says. "But the real question is whether the moviegoers feel they need to catch the movie the first day or two or maybe think they can wait until the weekend. It's really difficult to say how the grosses will come in."
The M. Night Shyamalan-helmed 3D family adventure "The Last Airbender," should more readily appeal to male audiences, in lieu of the younger female audiences lining up to see "Eclipse."
Based on the 2005-08 Nickelodeon animated kids series, "Avatar: The Last Airbender," the live-action movie was produced in 2-D and converted to 3-D. "Airbender" will include at least 2,000 3D screens and is forecast to earn as much as $50 million through Monday.
The "Airbender" cast includes Jackson Rathbone, who also appears in "Eclipse" and other "Twilight" pics. The estimated production costs totaled $150 million.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Movies News
- Enough to make a T-rex cry: 'Jurassic Park 4' is on hold
- Special effects mastermind Ray Harryhausen dies
- 'Iron Man 3' takes in $680 million in 11 days; second-best U.S. debut ever
- Netflix losing movies: Even less to watch?
- Depression-era movie star Deanna Durbin dies at 91
- Can Walt Disney transform Lucasfilm into another Pixar?
- America's most famous film critic Roger Ebert dies
- 'Not Today' film about human trafficking, parallels St. Francis
- Daniel Day-Lewis becomes first person to win third Oscar for Best Actor for 'Lincoln'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?