Actor who played Harry Potter's Uncle Vernon, Richard Griffiths dies
Venerable British actor passes away after heart surgery at age of 65
He was most popularly known as everyone's least favorite "Muggle" - actor Richard Griffiths played boy wizard Harry Potter's most unsympathetic Uncle Vernon in the celebrated film series. To film fanatics, Griffiths will be forever remembered as the rotund, unctuous Uncle Monty in the classic British comedy "Withnail and I." Griffiths has passed away following heart surgery at the age of 65.
He was most popularly known as everyone's least favorite "Muggle" - actor Richard Griffiths played boy wizard Harry Potter's most unsympathetic Uncle Vernon in the celebrated film series.
Daniel Radcliffe, who played Harry Potter in the popular franchise, said in a statement that "I was proud to say I knew him." Radcliffe also worked alongside Griffiths in a 2007 London production of "Equus."
"Richard was by my side during two of the most important moments of my career," Radcliffe added. "In August 2000, before official production had even begun on Potter, we filmed a shot outside the Dursleys', which was my first ever shot as Harry. I was nervous and he made me feel at ease.
"Seven years later, we embarked on Equus together. It was my first time doing a play but, terrified as I was, his encouragement, tutelage and humor made it a joy. In fact, any room he walked into was made twice as funny and twice as clever just by his presence."
Arguably Griffiths most memorable role was as Uncle Monty in the 1987 cult classic "Withnail and I." As two young aspiring actors take shelter in his isolated, rural home after leaving college, Griffiths as the effeminate, pompous Monty dispenses bits of advice gleaned from his years as an amateur botanist.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is a certain je ne sais quoi - oh, so very special ." Griffiths says in an extravagant, plumy accent.
Monty is also quick to dampen his two young tenants' theatrical ambitions. "It is the most shattering experience of a young man's life when one morning he awakes and quite reasonably says to himself, 'I will never play the Dane.'"
A large man with an even larger stage presence, Griffiths essayed the role of charismatic teacher Hector at the emotional heart of Alan Bennett's "The History Boys." It was a part he took to Broadway, winning a Tony Award, and repeated for the film adaptation.
Griffiths was also renowned for shaming audience members whose cell phones rang during plays by stopping the performance and ordering the offender to leave.
Griffiths' last major stage role was in a West End production of Neil Simon's comedy "The Sunshine Boys" last year opposite Danny DeVito.
He is survived by his wife, Heather Gibson.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Celebrity News
- Alec Baldwin blames homosexual conspiracy over his show's cancellation
- Noted TV psychic Sylvia Browne dies at 77
- 'Seinfeld' actor Al Ruscio dies at 89
- 'Daughter' of comedian Andy Kaufman says he's still alive
- Painter Francis Bacon's triptych breaks record at art auction
- Fans stunned after promoter acquitted in Michael Jackson's death
- 'Patriot Games' author Tom Clancy dies at 66
- Actor Jack Nicholson speaks out against abortion
- Legendary broadcaster Sir David Frost dies at 74
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?