Ron Palillo, 'Horshack' on 'Welcome Back, Kotter' dies
Actor dies from unexpected heat attack at age of 63
Wearing scarves and caps well into the summertime, Ron Palillo, as high
school student "Horshack" on the popular TV sitcom "Welcome Back,
Kotter" was a likeable nerd who would get attention by raising his hand
and saying, "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!" The remarkable thing is that
Palillo was playing a high school student, and was the same age of the
actor playing his teacher, Gabe Kaplan. Palillo passed away unexpectedly
from a heart attack this week at the age of 63.
Ron Palillo's 'Kotter' co-star Robert Hegyes, who played Epstein passed away earlier this year after suffering a heart attack.
"These were 13-, 14-year-old kids [he was teaching], and they didn't know 'Welcome Back, Kotter,'" Greg Hauptner, founder and CEO of G-Star Academy told newspaper reporters. "They watched just about every episode. It drove him crazy, but he loved every minute of it."
Palillo also wrote a play, "The Lost Boy," was artistic director at Palm Beach's Cuillo Center for the Arts, and had numerous theater roles including the off-Broadway production of Lanford Wilson's "Hot L Baltimore."
"RIP Ron Palillo - Horshack," tweeted Rain Pryor, daughter of Richard Pryor. "I used to impersonate him on stage when my dad or mom performed stand up. I was 5."
Palillo's colleagues at that G-Star School of the Arts, said that Palillo had appeared to be in good health, but was a heavy smoker. He had been reportedly suffering from a bad cough and had even scheduled a doctor's appointment on the day he died.
Palillo was known as just one of the "Sweathogs" on the show, in which he appeared on with John Travolta from 1975 to 1979. "Kotter" detailed the life of an inner city high school.
Palillo found TV work in "Laverne & Shirley" and voiced a character on the Disney cartoon, "Darkwing Duck."
Palillo's "Kotter" co-star Robert Hegyes, who played Epstein passed away earlier this year after suffering a heart attack.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: ron Palillo, Welcome Back, Kotter, TV series, death
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Celebrity News
- Has Justin Bieber's 'bad boy' stance gone too far? Pot smelled on tour bus
- Comedian Jonathan Winters dies at 87
- Mouseketeer Annette Funicello dies from multiple sclerosis
- Actor who played Harry Potter's Uncle Vernon, Richard Griffiths dies
- Porno star who embraced Christianity later in life dies
- 'One Day at a Time' actress Bonnie Franklin dies
- Cowboy actor Dale Robertson dies at the age of 89
- Popular British romance novelist 'Jessica Blair' proven to be an 89-year-old man
- Conrad Bain of TV's 'Diff''rent Strokes' dies at 89
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?