'Sweathog' Robert Hegyes dies from heart attack
'Welcome Back Kotter' cast member based his TV character on Chico from the Marx Brothers
Long before Bart Simpson, the "sweathogs" on TV's "Welcome Back Kotter" were under-acheivers, and proud of it ma-an. That Seventies TV show focused on a class of likable would-be dropouts in an inner city high school, one of whom actor John Travolta would go on to big screen success. Robert Hegyes, who played the wheelin' dealin' Jewish-Puerto Rican student Juan Epstein has died, far too early from a heart attack. He was 60.
Robert Hegyes and nearly all of the original cast members of "Welcome Back Kotter" reunited last year at the TV Land Awards to recognize the show's 35th anniversary.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Celebrity News
- Alec Baldwin blames homosexual conspiracy over his show's cancellation
- Noted TV psychic Sylvia Browne dies at 77
- 'Seinfeld' actor Al Ruscio dies at 89
- 'Daughter' of comedian Andy Kaufman says he's still alive
- Painter Francis Bacon's triptych breaks record at art auction
- Fans stunned after promoter acquitted in Michael Jackson's death
- 'Patriot Games' author Tom Clancy dies at 66
- Actor Jack Nicholson speaks out against abortion
- Legendary broadcaster Sir David Frost dies at 74
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?